Project Name : Potato battery
You Will Need :
- Four Clean Potato
- Zink Plate , Copper Plate
What/How to do :
1. With the close supervision of an adult, insert one zinc plate about 1 inch into the potato end.
2. Push one copper plate into the opposite end of the potato.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the other two potatoes.
4. Number your potatoes 1, 2 and 3 and connect the potatoes in series:
◦ Connect the potatoes so that the copper on potato 1 is attached to the zinc in potato 2.
How Does it Work?
A battery is something that causes chemical energy to be converted into electricity. Batteries have a positive side (terminal) and the negative side (terminal). The negative side is the source of the electrons that gives the energy to a wire that is connected to an electronic device. Batteries power electronic devices when connected with a conductive material, such as wires.
The potato battery is a type of electrochemical battery or cell. Certain metals (zinc in the demonstration below) experience a chemical reaction with the acids inside of the potato. This chemical reaction creates the electrical energy that can power a small device like an LED light